Frozen Water Pipes Can Cause MAJOR Damage to your home or business
Posted on 12:43 pm by IRCS
If you have unexpected damage due to frozen water pipes, you need an expert to repair the damage and restore your home or business to its pre-loss condition.
Call the experts at Indiana Restoration and Cleaning Services – 24/7 EMERGENCY HOTLINE – 317-776-9942
Frozen Water Pipe Facts
A review of homeownerâ€™s insurance claims resulting from plumbing supply system failures from multiple insurance companiesÂ around the countryÂ revealed:
- Plumbing supply system failures are the leading source of residential water losses, with 48% greater losses (in terms of total payouts) than the second leading source.
- Plumbing supply system failures cost an average of $5,092 per incident after the deductible was paid.
- Of the claims analyzed, 65% were caused by a failure of the plumbing supply system material, while 18% were caused by frozen pipes.
- Frozen pipe-related failures resulted in losses that were roughly twice as severe as those caused by plumbing supply system material failures.
- The risk of a frozen pipe failure is dependent upon the geographic location of the home, the location of the pipe within the structure, and the time of year.
- Homes located in North Region states with plumbing in the basement and/or exterior walls have the greatest risk of a frozen pipe failure.
- Plumbing supply lines to the exterior hose bib are the areas most vulnerable to bursting during freezing weather. In this sample, January was the month when pipes were most prone to freezing.
- In this sample, homes that were 16 to 40 years of age represented a larger proportion of supply system material failure claims than their proportion of total policies.
- The proportion of total water loss claims attributed to supply system material failure was twice as high in the South Region than in the North Region.
- Of the claims analyzed, 22% of all supply system material failures occurred beneath the slab of homes without basements.
taken from disaster safety.org